Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cole Slaw

This book contains many recipes for that lost American dish, cole slaw. Just on two pages of the Midwest section there are, cole slaw, cabbage salad, and whipped cream cole slaw. Clearly whipped cream cole slaw was out, due to the lactose intolerant issue. Normally, this recipe would have been out, but I happened to be reading it at 8:00 am, rather than 5 pm, so I was able to give it the time it needed. It had to chill for 12 hours, after having the vegetables soak in ice water for one hour. I didn't chill it for exactly 12 hours, but I did pretty well (7 is closer to 12 than say, one would be.)
The recipe made a light, crunchy, slightly sweet salad with few calories. Don't let the one and a half cups of sugar give you pause. It works. The only thing I wasn't quite sure of was the shredding. I suppose, shredding cabbage or green pepper means grating it. I didn't have a grater, so I just cut things up as well as I could.

Cole Slaw

2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 medium head cabbage, shredded
one green pepper, cored, seeded and shredded
one onion, finely chopped
lightly salted ice water

1. Combine the vinegar, sugar, celery seeds and mustard in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil twenty minutes. Cool.
2. Combine the cabbage, green pepper and onion. Cover with the ice water and let stand one hour. Drain vegetables through a double thickness of muslin, pressing to remove all moisture. (I used a salad spinner.)
3. Combine drained vegetables with cooled vinegar mixture and refrigerate 12 hours before serving.
Makes one dozen servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment