Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dandelion Greens and Bacon Dressing

I had wanted to make this for a while, but there was a question about source of supply. My cousin Cricket offered her vast lawns (full of dandelions, I guess) as a dog-free place to get dandelions. They are also available for purchase at a farmers' market, but they only grow in early spring and last year I missed the boat. Well, it turns out you can buy dandelion greens at Whole Foods, so I did. They are surprisingly tasty.
As a child, I used to eat, pull apart or smell all kinds of things. I don't remember specifically eating dandelions, but I do remember yanking the stems apart and watching the white, milky liquid ooze out. I remember their smell. Perhaps farmers are breeding dandelions for a less pronounced taste these days. Who knows? But these make a perfectly acceptable salad.
We ate them at the birthday party. The guests seemed to like them.

Dandelion Greens and Bacon Dressing

4 slices bacon, diced
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 egg lightly beaten
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup light cream
4 cups dandelion greens
1 hard cooked egg, chopped

1. Cook the bacon until crisp. Reserve drippings and bacon.
2. Combine the sugar, salt and cornstarch. Mix well. Gradually stir in the egg, vinegar and cream.
3. Pour into the bacon mixture and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens. Pour over the greens and garnish with the egg.
Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment