Thursday, September 15, 2011

Hash Brown Potatoes

I broke out of my New England mode to make Hash Brown Potatoes from Ohio since I've made every New England potato recipe in the book. These are great because they are easy. You just chop the onion, saute it and put the potatoes in on top. They get browned with bits of browned onion sticking to them. I did cut the amount of butter in half. I didn't think they really needed half a stick of butter, and I was right. They were well received by the multitudes.

Hash Brown Potatoes

1 onion finely chopped
3 tablespoons shortening
1/4 cup butter or bacon drippings
6 potatoes, peeled and sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Saute the onion in the shortening and butter or bacon drippings until tender. Add the potato slices. Cover and cook over medium flame stirring now and then until cooked and browned. Season with salt and pepper. Makes five servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment