Sunday, February 12, 2012

Potato Puffs

Potato Puffs, from the great state of Missouri, (Several years ago, I taught in a classroom that had a rug displaying the United States on the floor. I used to tell the kids to sit on the great state of whatever. Once somebody asked me why I referred to the states as great states. I couldn't really tell them I was imitating the people who speak for their states at the Democratic National Convention, so I just said they were all great states. ) are delicious. Incidentally they contain all the things I am not supposed to eat right now, such as butter, whipped cream and Cheddar cheese.
We made them for son's birthday dinner. Daughter-in-law described them as "scrape the pan clean good," and they were. The recipe says to put them in individual greased custard cups, but we just put the mixture in a pan. It's pretty simple if you don't mind the calories.


Potato Puffs


3 cups hot cooked riced potatoes. (riced potatoes go through a potato masher. I just used the mixer.
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese

1. Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
2. Beat the potatoes with the butter, salt and pepper. Three-quarters fill greased custard cups with the potatoes.
3. Combine the cream and cheese and spread it over the top of the potatoes. Bake until brown, about 15 minutes. Makes six servings.

1 comment: