Sunday, March 18, 2012

Broiled Shad Roe




Shad roe was one of those things that my parents ate when I was very young. My parents operated on the British model. Kids, at least my brother and I, ate earlier in the kitchen. Adults, and my sister, who was four years older and had special family status, ate at 7:30 in the dining room. So I heard of shad roe, but never ate it. And frankly, it was all to the best. Although I ate most meat dishes that were put in front of me, fish was not a favorite, and if it had gotten out that fish eggs were on order, the results would not have been pleasant.

I actually had ordered shad roe a few weeks earlier in a restaurant. They were okay, somewhat mealy. But I had no idea what they looked like until I trotted around to the Fishery on a Saturday afternoon and ordered some in response to their hand lettered sign that proclaimed SHAD ROE. While seasonal foods have faded out, shad roe is only available for a few weeks in the spring, so I had to move while the shad was running. Or roeing. Or something.

Well, what they look like is brains.

When they are cooked, they look more like a sausage, so not to worry.

The recipe says to take care not to overcook them. Due to some fooling around with the broiler, and leaving a pan in the oven that has no other place to live, I did overcook them. That increases their mealiness. So, be careful.



Broiled Shad Roe



1 pair shad roe

4 slices bacon

2 tablespoons melted butter

Lemon wedges



1. Wrap the roe in the bacon slices and broil five minutes on each side, or until bacon and roe are done. Do not overcook.

2. Pour the butter over and serve with lemon wedges.

The recipe says, makes one serving, but my roes were large. One pair served for the two of us.








No comments:

Post a Comment