Sunday, June 3, 2012

Scaloppini of Veal

I remember hearing my mother make veal scaloppini when I was a kid. I say hearing, not watching or seeing, because making veal scaloppini used to be a noisy process. She used a big wooden mallet, and pounded the veal until... until what? Until it was flat? Until the cows came home? Who knows. I dispensed with the pounding process, because you can buy scaloppinis already sliced reasonably thin.
If someone has alternate opinions about the need to pound scaloppini, pray weigh in on the debate.
In my desire to move on with the cookbook, last Sunday, when I made up my shopping list, I discovered this as a dish that cold be made within the confines of my diet. It does require flour. I used cornstarch, with not really good results. Good veal scallopini is supposed to have a crust on it. Cornstarch doesn't do it, as the cornstarch coating adhered to the pan, not the veal.
The recipe also contains 2/3 of a cup of tomato juice. I am not supposed to eat tomatoes, potatoes, or eggplant. I like eggplant, but it's sort of vegetable non grata around here, so that is not a huge sacrifice. Now, tomatoes are another story entirely, but I've more or less been able to stay away from them so far. I figured 2/3 of a cup of juice wouldn't cause major problems.
Anyway, this dish is reasonably quick and easy to make, and tastes good. You might make it for a dinner party if no members of PETA were in attendance. We had it for a weeknight dinner just the two of us.

Scaloppini of Veal 

1 pound veal from the top of the leg, thinly cut
3 tablespoons flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2/3 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup tomato juice
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

1. Cut the veal into serving pieces and poound well between pieces of wax paper with a mallet or rolling pin.
2. Dredge the veal pieces in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Heat the butter and oil in a skillet and brown the veal in it on all sides. Remove veal and drain on paper towels.
3. Add the garlic and onions to the skillet and saute until tender. Add the broth, wine, and tomato juice and cook ten minutes.
4. Add the hermbs and return the meat to the skillet. Simmer gently five minutes, or until veal is tender. Makes two or three servings.






























































No comments:

Post a Comment