Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cooked Bacon Dressing

I always try to wring as many recipes out of a dinner party as possible, without killing either myself or my guests. The vegetable chapter in the New England section of the cookbook has been whittled down to Passover recipes, (which I ought to cook at Passover) and things like dandelion stems. So, on to the South. I figured, on a hot night, it was not really fair to saddle my guests with some kind of vegetable casserole, so I just went for this dressing on spinach salad.
Readers may remember I have problems with the phrase "cook until the mixture thickens." The recipes never say how thick, Goddammit. Well, this stuff ended up really thick. I made it and set it aside to tackle the lobster. When I came back to it, it was the consistency of library paste. I just added some water. I cut the recipe in half and still ended up with over a cup left over, which is a lot for a person who lives alone. So be warned.
I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten free flour for the flour. That seemed to work fine. I seem to have problems with getting bacon really crisp, but that might have been the humidity. Nobody complained.

Cooked Bacon Dressing

4 slices bacon
3 eggs
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup mayonnaise, (preferably homemade)  (Mine wasn't.)

1. Cook the bacon until crisp. Remove and crumble strips. Reserve. (When this book says reserve, it means put someplace out of the way until later. In my case it was the top of the refrigerator.)
2. Combine bacon drippings, with eggs, mustard, flour, sugar, salt, celery seeds, vinegar, water and pepper in a deep saucepan. Beat with a rotary beater. (This is one of the deficiencies of the apartment. I used a whisk.)
3. Heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove. Cool slightly and stir in the mayonnaise and reserved bacon bits, Cool and chill.
Makes about 2 and a half cups.   

No comments:

Post a Comment