Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lemon Ice Cream

I settled on Lemon Ice Cream for dessert because it didn't contain flour or require baking. It also did not require an ice cream freezer. My mother ordered an old fashioned, hand cranked ice cream freezer from Sears at one point during my childhood, and we made some fantastic ice cream. My family had a hand cranked French freezer called a Donvier, but I got rid of it about a year ago.
  Now, although the prefrozen product was delicious, foamy and delicately lemon flavored, it didn't come out  exactly as expected. In fact, it was chalky. I will explain what I think I did wrong. I may even go back and try this dessert again because it was so good in its nonfrozen form and so easy.
The directions say you can stir up the mixture when it reaches the mushy stage and then refreeze for a smoother mixture. Well, I got sidetracked watching the Olympics with Mrs. Curtiss while the dog beds were in the washing machine, and let the mixture freeze solid. Instead of just leaving it like that, I took it out to defrost a little while I ate lunch. By the time I stopped reading the New York Times and attended to the ice cream, it was back to liquid. So then, I put it back in the freezer, waited about ten minutes and stirred it. I have a feeling that all the freezing and thawing contributed to its unfortunate texture. So if you try it, make sure to pay close attention to the time if you plan to stir it before it freezes completely.
Another tip. Grate the lemon before you squeeze it. It's easier. I actually used an artificial sweetener, and it worked really well. I doubt that anyone could have distinguished the difference.

Lemon Ice Cream

3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 cup sugar
2 cups light cream
1/8 teaspoon salt
yellow food coloring

1. Add the lemon juice and lemon rind to the sugar and blend well.
2. Slowly stir in the cream, salt and one or two drops food coloring.
3. Pour into a freezing tray and freeze until firm. Or, mixture may be stirred when it reaches the mushy stage and then refrozen for a smoother texture.
Makes about three cups which is plenty for 4 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment