Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fried Green Tomato Slices (Gluten Free)

I have wanted to make and eat fried green tomatoes ever since I saw the fabulous movie "Fried Green Tomatoes". However, for some reason or other, I never did. I got close last year when I bought a bunch of green tomatoes, and then let them get ripe in the press of fall school business. This year, since there is no school business, I can make fried green tomatoes.
Fried green tomatoes comes in the great pioneer, Depression-era "use it up" ethos. The fall frosts put an end to ripe tomatoes, but there has to be something we can do with all these green ones. Indeed there is. The cookbook has eight recipes using green tomatoes, two recipes for pie, one for pickle, one for mincemeat, which I made yesterday as well, and three for relish. These don't count this recipe, which I actually couldn't find in the index, although I looked under "tomatoes", "fried," and "green."
It seemed to be pretty common in the 40s and 50s to take several different kinds of vegetables; eggplant, cucumbers, zucchinis, or tomatoes, slice them, bread them and fry them in butter or oil. When I was growing up, as part of our summer, three vegetable dinners, we had fried cucumber or zucchini often. My mother broiled the tomatoes.
These fried green tomatoes are gluten free because they are dipped in corn meal. I actually didn't have corn meal. I was getting ready to use gluten free flour, when my husband unearthed a container of hominy grits from the recesses of the pantry. They worked fine. These are fast and tasty. I didn't have bacon drippings, but they would have been even better cooked in those.

Fried Green Tomato Slices

4 green tomatoes, thickly sliced
1/2 cup white or yellow corn meal
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup bacon drippings or pork fat

1. Dip the tomato slices in the corn meal mixed with the salt and pepper.
2, Heat the bacon drippings or pork fat in a heavy skillet and saute the slices in it quickly until browned on both sides.
Makes six servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment