Monday, December 17, 2012

Flourless Oatmeal Lace Cookies (Gluten Free)

I lifted, and altered this recipe from a website called www.chinesegrandma.com. My cousin, Marie-Noel, had made some before we came to visit her in Boston a couple of weeks ago. Marie-Noel was supposed to send me the recipe, but we had to resort to the internet.
The alteration came when I doubled the recipe. My aging brain sometimes has trouble with this. I ended up quadrupling the amount of brown sugar by mistake. As you might imagine, the resulting dough was extremely dry, like sand. When I finally figured out what I had done, I decided to double the double, but not put in any more sugar. I added two more eggs, and then decided to see what the cookies would be like before I added more of the other ingredients.
They were fantastic!!! Now, I have to say, I was liberally scarfing down the dough, so my sense of sweetness might have been overwhelmed. People who had not just eaten a cup of dough containing a huge amount of sugar may find them sickeningly sweet.  I served them at the party and everyone seemed to love them.


Flourless Oatmeal Lace Cookies


A delicately crisp, old-fashioned cookie tasting of butter and brown sugar. Gluten-free too.

Ingredients


■2 1/2 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned or quick-cook, not instant)

■1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

■1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (double for super sweet, delicious cookies)

■1 egg, lightly beaten (2 if you double the sugar)

■1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease baking sheets very well or line with parchment paper.

2.Mix ingredients together in a large bowl. Drop by teaspoonfuls on prepared baking sheets, forming rough circles. Leave space in between for cookies to spread.

3.Bake 9-12 minutes, until cookies spread out and cookies are golden brown. Cool a few minutes before removing. If cookies are difficult to remove even when cool, bake for another minute or two.

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment