Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ham and Egg Canapes

Ham and Egg Canapes hail from Virginia. Buy those plastic encased slices of Smithfield ham to use as the ham here. You will be glad you did. Now, I have to say, this recipe was a jumping off point. I am noticing as I write it up that I didn't even read the last step, which says to separate the hard boiled yolks from the whites, run them through a sieve, separately and then sprinkle the ham first with sieved egg white and then with sieved egg yolk. Hmm. Sounds like a lot of work.
I ground up the ham in the food processor and then mixed it with mayonnaise and chopped pickles. For those of you who would like a more exact measurement than "a dollop," for a cup of ground ham, put in 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and the same of chopped pickles or pickle relish.
I had wanted to use gluten free bread so I could eat these too. I am usually confined to the veggies and dip at  church hospitality hour since everything else has flour in it. My husband cut up most of a baguette and told me to use that. Frankly, using a biscuit cutter, which I don't have, even though I do make biscuits, seems like a lot of work. So, I used thin slices of French bread, and so, couldn't eat these. I did taste the ham. They're good. I know what French bread with ham salad tastes like. We just sliced the  hard boiled eggs and laid them on top of the ham. I commend this to anyone who wants to make something that looks semi-fancy to pass at a cocktail party or school auction or whathave you.

Ham and Egg Canapes

4 slices white bread (or French bread, or little squares of pumpernickel)
Melted butter
1 cup ground baked Virginia or country ham
2 hard cooked eggs
Paprika

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Using a small biscuit cutter, cut each slice of bread into four rounds. Brush generously with melted butter and place on a baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until golden brown. ( I didn't bother with this step.)
3. Spoon one tablespoon of ham onto each round of toast and return to the oven just to heat through.
4. Meanwhile, split the eggs in half. Press the whites through a sieve or ricer. Press the yolks through another. Sprinkle the canapes first with white of egg, then with yolk. Dust with paprika and serve hot.
Makes sixteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment