Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Passover Brownies

Last Monday my Bible study group met once again, so I got out the cookbook looking for more Passover recipes. I was eager to bake, since the week before I had located MATZO CAKE MEAL at the Safeway on Upper Connecticut Avenue in DC!! Hey, hey, Passover bakers, get moving. Now, cake meal does not seem to be available at the Davenport Safeway where I usually shop. So go figure. But, if you didn't order your cake meal from Streits of Brooklyn on line, you can still purchase it before Passover.
Possibly, you might be able to order the cake meal from www.manischevitz.com, since this firm manufactures the variety that Safeway sells. That is, if you don't live in the District of Columbia or its environs.
I was also hoping to uncover some mysteries of Passover baking last week. Ellen and Todd Gray, a DC restaurateur couple, had just written a book entitled, The New Jewish Table. I planned to go to their book talk last Wednesday and ask a few questions. However, the snow hysteria ended up paralyzing the city, the book talk was canceled, and we didn't even get any Goddamn snow. So, I'm waiting to take their book out of the library. If you readers are serious about Jewish cooking, and not a tourist like me, it might be a good book to buy.
So, I had cake meal and Passover brownies were just waiting to be made. Plus, I had all the ingredients, which is no small inducement these days, as there is not as much money coming in as there was when I was working. Like, none.
Now, I prefer fudge brownies, with the melted chocolate and the butter, dense and rich. I am not eating these things anyway because they are not gluten free. Passover brownies are cake brownies, light and crumbly. The Episcopalians stopped their railing about how the Israelites had just come in and kicked these other tribes out of the Promised Land, without even a by-your-leave, and chowed down on them. Bob liked them too.
If you need a Passover dessert, you could do worse. They are easy, as well. You don't even have to separate the eggs.

Passover Brownies

2 cups sugar
5 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup matzo cake meal
1 tablespoon potato starch
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup chopped nuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat the sugar and eggs together well. (About 5 minutes). Beat in the oil.
3. Combine the cake meal, potato starch, cocoa powder, orange juice and nuts. Stir into the batter. Pour into a well-greased or wax-paper lined 13-by9-by-2 inch baking pan. Bake thirty-five to forty-five minutes or until done. Cut into squares while still warm. Makes about 24 brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment