Monday, March 22, 2010

Meat and Potato Burgers

I spent Thursday, Friday and Sunday flat on my back, coughing my head off, so lost the chance to serve up another eggplant recipe to the church people at the monthly potluck. I decided that a cook with a hacking cough was not a situation designed to endear oneself to other diners. So, I stayed home, and they missed out on more eggplant.
Having seen this recipe a couple of days ago, I decided to make it because we had hamburger, and then had one hell of a time finding it in the cookbook. I looked under hamburgers, and for hamburgers with potatoes, and ground beef with potatoes and couldn't find it. There was a certain amount of frustration, especially since I had already made the mashed potatoes to mix in with the hamburger. I finally found it by leafing through the Midwest in the meat, poultry, game and other main dishes section.
This is one of those "What shall I do with all the leftover ___________?" recipes. In this case, it was mashed potatoes. As a person who never put anything but salt on hamburgers, the concept of mixing stuff into the meat is novel. However, like Anne's Hamburgers, the result is great. You mix 1 pound of ground round with 3/4 cup mashed potatoes, a raw egg, 2 tablespoons chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped pickled beets (which I omitted, being fresh out of pickled beets,) 1 tablespoon chopped rained capers, salt, pepper and dill weed. Moosh the whole thing up with your hands, form into patties and fry.
The verdict by the BF's husband was, "good, but lacks cohesiveness." In other words, the hamburger came to pieces and dribbled all down our fingers. But it was good.
I keep coming back to head cheese. This week, I read an article in The Washington Post about small slaughterhouses in Pennsylvania that handle a few animals at a time for small farmers. I thought those folks might be able to get me a pig's head. The other pigs head outlet was a store in Newport News, Va. that sold old fashioned, country type meat. Also, I read that a place called Wagshaws, still in DC sells game. So, for all that stuffed grouse, poached pheasant, wild duck, etc. I have an outlet. I'm also trying to track down dandelion greens. Given the quantity of dogs we have in the District of Columbia and their predeliction to urinate everywhere and anywhere, I think it best to purchase them.

1 comment:

  1. Just come to the Berkshires and gather all you want at Council Grove - no dogs! Can't imagine how you could have run out of pickled beets though...

    ReplyDelete