Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Veal Scallops with Cheese


This is delicious and not terribly complicated. The hardest thing is to time it so it comes out of the oven when the party who works late walks in the door. I had him call me as he left the grocery store. This dish made me think of one of the first veal dishes I cooked out of this cookbook, which had to have been around March, 1982, when my mother came to visit her first grandchild.
The cooking was not terribly fraught. Ever since I got my own apartment, I could cook. However, the visit was, and not for the usual mother daughter reasons. Now, shall I say my mother and her sisters led rather sheltered lives. Even though the oldest sister traveled all around the world, and may or may not have shot tigers in India (They had a tiger rug in their living room) there were a great many things they had not done. For example, my aunt, who lived all her adult life in New York City, was unable to identify a bagel when I introduced it to her refrigerator in 1977.
They did not talk to people of color, except as household employees. They never had to cope with rising real estate prices. And my mother, although far from dumb, was a stranger to the economic realities of 1979, which meant that my husband and I had to buy a house in the ghetto to stay in DC. So anyhow, I felt like my mother wouldn't quite understand exactly why the only one of her children to have an actual job had to buy a house, subsidized by her, in a slum. When I tried to explain that the house was in a black neighborhood, she inquired innocently, "Doctors and lawyers?"
"Mom," I said, "nurses and cabdrivers. Black doctors and lawyers live in the same kind of neighborhoods as white doctors and lawyers."
I remember nervously looking around our street on the first nice day of the early spring, and seeing various neighbors lounging on their front porches drinking beer. and thinking she wouldn't go for it. However, when she actually got there, it was cold and the beer drinkers had moved back inside. I have to hand it to my mother. She knew how to keep her mouth shut. If she had opinions on our house, which turned out to be a bad real estate investment, as well as in a dicy neighborhood, she kept them to herself. Maybe it was the veal.
Here's veal scallops with cheese. PETA please note, this was not white veal. You take 6 veal scaloppine, dip them in beaten egg, and then in lemon juice and then in breadcrumbs. You put it in a frying pan and fry it on one side in a mizture of olive oil and butter. Then, you take it out and put it, cooked side down, in a baking dish. Top with thinly sliced lemonsm, swiss cheese and cream. Bake for 15 minutes or so. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment