Monday, March 28, 2011

Golden Cabbage

Monday night brought Golden Cabbage, which for some unknown reason I had viewed with suspicion. It's pretty simple. Shred cabbage, cook for an hour, make a cheese sauce and bake. The combination of cooking the cabbage for an hour and the cheese sauce gives it a mashed pototoey consistancy. It's good reheated too. It was very good. I didn't take a picture because it was very white food. I chose to serve it with pork chops on our everyday china, which is all white.

I got home relatively early for me after a satisfying hour with my first tutee, Elisa, who has been faithfully doing her homework without a glimmer of understanding as to what it was all about. She showed signs of being able to count money. I used my early arrival time to go down and work on the blog, not to start dinner.So when I went back upstairs and discovered that the cabbage had to boil for an hour, and then, "bake until thoroughly heated." I was somewhat dismayed.

My husband teases me about how, when he cooks, dinner is on the table when I get home. When I cook, no matter when he gets home, we eat around 9. So, this was another later than necessary meal.


Golden Cabbage



2 pounds white or green cabbage

2 quarts water

1 tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons plus one teaspoon salt

2 cups milk

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup butter

1/4 pound Swiss cheese, grated



1. Remove and discard the core from the cabbage. Shred or chop cabbage finely and combine it with the water, sugar and one and one-half tablespoons of the salt. Bring to aboil, cover and cook over low heat one hour. Remove cabbage and drain thoroughly in a colander.

2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

3. Combine the nmilk, cornstarch, butter and remaining salt. Bring to aboil over moderate heat, stirring. Combine with drained cabbage. Stir in all but four tablespoons grated cheese and blend well. Poour cabbage mixture into a buttered 71/2 by 12 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake just until thoroughly heated. Run the dish briefly under the broiler and serve hot. Makes six servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment