Thursday, November 24, 2011

Mayonnaise



This mayonnaise is not as mayonnaise-y as the mayonnaise I made in the spring of 2010. I think it was called Blender Mayonnaise. Make mayonnaise in the blender. It's much easier, and it seems to come out better. My excuse is, I was following the directions, which said beat with a wire whisk, rotary beater, or electric mixer.
The recipe says that the cook is to place a half teaspoon of dry mustard in a bowl with a teaspoon of cold water and let it sit for ten minutes. I did that. I was pretty meticulous in following the directions, but the mayonnaise turned out thin. Maybe it is supposed to be that way. I don't know.
I had one nervous moment when I dumped about a teaspoon of cayenne pepper into the mix instead of a pinch, as required. It was okay, not incredibly hot, but hot enough to make the mayonnaise interesting.

Mayonnaise

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon cold water
2 egg yolks
salt to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons wine vinegar or lemon juice
1 1/4 cups peanut oil or vegetable oil

1. Place the mustard in a mixing bowl. Add the water to make a paste. Let stand ten minutes.
2. Add the egg yolks, salt, cayenne and have the vinegar or lemon juice. Start beating with a wire whisk, rotary beater or electric mixer, gradually adding the oil. Continue beating, adding the oil and remaining vinegar alternatively until all the ingredients are used. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, cayenne or vinegar if desired.
Makes one and one-half cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment