Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pumpkin Pie with Cottage Cheese



Thanksgiving 2011 may have set a record for the number of cookbook dishes produced at one meal. There were five, if you include mayonnaise, which I needed for Crevettes Paula. I have to say, I have been eying this recipe for pumpkin pie with cottage cheese for years, and have always dismissed it. Now that I finally made it, I see that dismissing it was a good thing.
The main thing that makes this recipe different from other pumpkin pie recipes is not the cottage cheese, which is probably a good, lower calorie option than the traditional canned milk, but the fact that it does not have any sugar at all in it. It does have a teaspoon of salt and a quarter of a cup of sherry. All this combines to make a not very desserty pumpkin pie.
My son, who always reviews the dishes, said it was very salty. "What did you do to it?" he demanded. My husband said we ought to just throw away the leftover pie.
He said I should say in the review, "Believe me, you don't want to eat this. I cooked this so you wouldn't have to."
Now, given Hewlitt's tendency to not test her recipes, I don't know if the lack of sugar was intentional, or merely a typo.
What I can say about this recipe that's positive, is, if you cut the salt down to a quarter of a teaspoon, left out the sherry and put in artificial sweetener, you would have a lower calorie pumpkin pie that might taste good. I would test it well before Thanksgiving before I sprang it on diabetic Aunt Minnie.
I made the pie on Wednesday night. For some reason, even though I preheated the oven, the pie didn't set. I kept having to come back to the oven, test the pie by sticking a wooden skewer into it, and set the timer for ten more minutes. Finally, I took my husband's advice and just turned the oven off and left the pie in the oven overnight. Luckily I remembered to take it out for the cookathon that ensued the following morning. Also luckily, the mice that have returned to our stove like the swallows to Capistrano did not eat it.

Pumpkin Pie with Cottage Cheese

2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup cottage cheese, sieved
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt (way too much)
1/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup dry sherry (believe me, it doesn't do anything for the pie. Leave it out.)
1 unbaked nine-inch pie shell
whipped cream

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Mix the pumpkin with the cottage cheese, ginger, cinnamon, salt and sour cream.
3. Beat the eggs with the milk and sherry and gradually stir into the pumpkin mixture. Pour into the pie shell.
4. Bake ten minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake thirty minutes longer or until set. Cool and chill. Serve cold, garnished with whipped cream. Makes six to eight servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment