Friday, November 23, 2012

Scallops Mayonnaise

We are great fans of scallops in this house.  It is one of my husband's lasting griefs that he can no  longer eat them. We still remember fondly a trip to Nova Scotia in 1976 where we ate Digby Bay scallops, the signature scallops of the Maritimes, virtually every night.  On the way to the ferry, we saw a sign for Digby  Bay, and pulled off with glad cries, hastening to the local coffee shop where we  wolfed down a plate of fried scallops before saying good bye to Canada and its seafood.
This is a nice appetizer for Thanksgiving or at any other time. Probably it's more of a summer dish,  but no one complained. I almost forgot to buy  them through a complicated set of circumstances and various markets. In order to avoid the stampeding masses in the market on Wednesday  before Thanksgiving, I  did my shopping at Safeway on Tuesday. But,  Safeway doesn't carry scallops. I intended to go to the Fishery, my local fish market, but, on Wednesday, my intention had escaped my memory. Wednesday morning, I went to yoga to limber up my joints for the next day's cooking marathon, and then to Whole Foods, where I had to buy some pate for  Bob and my daughter-in-law, who had expressed a no scallops preference.
Cruising by the seething mobs of Thanksgiving shoppers, my eyes lit on the fish counter. Ohmigod. The scallops. Appetizer disaster averted.
This whole recipe takes about 15 minutes, and could easily be made the night before. Be careful not to overcook the scallops.

Scallops Mayonnaise

1 pound scallops
salt to taste
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 teaspoon mustard,  preferably Dijon or Dusseldorf
3 tablespoons finely chopped scallions including the green part
2 tablespoons finely chopped stuffed green olives
Tabasco sauce to taste

1.   If bay scallops (the little ones) are used, leave them whole; if sea scallops are used, cut them in half.  Place in a saucepan with water to barely cover. Add salt.  Bring to a boil and simmer three to five minutes. Do not overcook or scallops will be tough. Drain and chill well.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients. Serve scallops with mayonnaise dressing.
Makes four generous servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment