Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Overview

Thanksgiving in cookbook land is all about the side dishes.  I used the recipe for Roast Turkey sometime in the 70s, before I started putting dates next to the recipes.  This year, I mined the cookbook for four separate recipes, not counting the mince pie, made from green tomato mincemeat that I canned in October.  We had Scallops Mayonnaise,  Whole Cranberry Conserve, Baked  Bourbon Spiced Sweet Potatoes, and Flaky Rolls.                                                                  
When the kids were growing up, we had soup as a starter. Last year, when I decided that there would  be deviation from soup, I had to clear it with my son, who seems to get worked up about these things more than other people. People
 Scallops were okay with him. My daughter-in-law, always polite and charming, said she didn't like scallops but he could have hers. So scallops it was.
I was particularly  proud of the flaky rolls. They were a tribute to following directions. They came out exactly as they should.  I  grabbed one off the cookie sheet and ate it warm. Nobody  had seconds  but their plates looked like they had been licked.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             



No comments:

Post a Comment