Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Spinach Salad

I am very behind with this blog. We ate this a week ago, when son, now graduated and a juris doctor, came to dinner with his fiance on the eve of his trip to Bermuda to visit an improbably named friend who works for a hedge fund. ??? This is a good time of year for this recipe, because spinach is fresh (although fresh spinach just comes from California or whereever and the season doesn't matter). You have to have two hard boiled eggs on hand, which I, for once, did, by dint of leaving a note on the white board asking someone, anyone, to hard boil me two eggs. Lo and behold, my daughter did. The bacon, however, was a different story. It had been lurking at the bottom of the salad drawer for weeks. I fried it up, but it had a peculiar odor, so I put it in a little bowl of its own, and warned people to try it before dumping it wholesale on the salad.
This is a reasonably quick salad, which is a good thing, because the first thing my son says when I ask if he is staying for dinner is, "What time are we going to eat?" I rashly promised that we would eat at 7:30 after getting home at 6:45. We ate around 7:45, once I got the salmon out of the oven.

Spinach Salad (from Northern California)

8 cups washed and well-drained spinach leaves
1/2 pound backon cooked crips and then crumbled
2 hard cooked eggs roughly chopped
5 scallions, including green part, chopped
3/4 cup homemade garlic croutons (I used boughten)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dusseldorf mustard (wazzat? I used Dijon.)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
1/8 teaspoon sugar (yuck)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

  1. Tear the spinach leaves into bite-size bits and put in a salad bowl.
  2. Arrange the bacon bits, eggs, scallions and croutons in wedges over spinach.
  3. Combine all remaining ingredients and mix well. At the table, or just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment