Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Vermont Boiled Dinner

Should my family ever read this, and they do, occasionally, they will castigate me for checking off this dish. It is essentially corned beef and cabbage, which my daughter pointed out is a winter dish. However, guess who forgot the cabbage? I also forgot the beets. My son termed this, "a pretty poor showing." He meant fidelity to the recipe, not what actually got put on the table. I must say, he has not learned to love rutabagas. I, however, am beginning to like them better the more I eat them.
This is a difficult dish to cook during the week, since the corned beef has to cook for three hours. Enter the slow cooker. Even putting the meat on low heat ended up with overcooked corned beef. Which is not all that surprising, I guess. What wouldn't be overcooked after cooking for eight hours? But it was still good.
I always hope that I will have enough corned beef left over to make corned beef hash. I never really do.

Vermont Boiled Dinner

4 pounds corned beef
3 large yellow turnips, peeled and cut into one-half-inch slices
6 large carrots or about twenty small carrots
6 medium-size potatoes, peeled and halved
10 to 12 beets, freshly cooked and peeled
2 to four heads cabbage, quartered and freshly cooked
Melted butter
chopped parsley
mustard
horseradish
  1. Place the corned beef in a large kettle and add water to cover. Simmer three hours, or until tender when pierced witha fork. Meanwhile, one hour before meat is done, add the turnips. Thirty minutes before meat is done, add the carrots and potatoes.
  2. Whem meat and vegetables are tender, slice the meat and place it uon a warm large serving platter. Surround the meat with turnip slices, carrots, potatoes, the beets and cabbage. Pour melted butter over the vegetables and sprinkle potatoes with parsley.
  3. Serve with mustard and horseradish if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment