Monday, August 2, 2010

Rhode Island Clam Cakes

Last Wednesday, I invited Mommio and another Ann to dinner in the apartment. Ann has lived near the farm since I was a teenager, but I'm only just getting to know her. True to my vow to stick with the Northeast section of the cookbook until I finished it, we ate Northeast food. I decided on the clam cakes because, even though the recipe called for a frying basket, I figured I could do it in a frying pan. And I did. It's hard to know if quality suffers from doing things like this. I've never had a genuine Rhode Island Clam Cake, cooked in a deep fryer, to compare mine with.
In fact, although I am a New Englander by birth, my exposure to Rhode Island is limited to taking the train through it, or landing at the Providence Airport to avoid Logan on a trip to Boston. I may never have eaten an actual meal in the confines of the great state of RI.
But, these were good, and interesting. They reminded me of the oyster fritters I ate at the Kent Island Fire Hall Election Day Dinner in 1978. They contian baking powder, and hence, puff up. Mine were about an inch thick. They are quick, and don't heat up the kitchen. So, if you have leftover clams, or are sick of crab cakes, or something, try these. Oh, yeah, and the fish guy at Big Y told me that canned clams contain more preservatives. so stick with frozen.

Rhode Island Clam Cakes

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup clams, drained and chopped.
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
fat or oil for deep frying

1. Combine the eggs, clams lat, pepper, milk, flour and baking powder
2. Form into small cakes and fry, a few at a time, in afrying basketin fat or oil heated to 360 degrees. Drain on paper towels.
Four servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment