Monday, August 2, 2010

Wilted Lettuce

As far as lettuce goes, I believe it should be eaten raw and should be crisp. Once, in my youth, Mommio prepared cooked lettuce. Now, I was much better about eating what was put in front of me than her own children, but even I baulked at cooked lettuce. So I wasn't positive about this recipe, but decided to go ahead because the salad recipes didn't quite fit with the other stuff we had. Everyone, even I, liked it. One thing about this project is, I have discovered that things that one thinks might taste disgusting are actually quite good. It is sort of like spinach.
The recipe does not say if you are supposed to serve it immediately, or if you can chill it. I made it about half an hour ahead and chilled it. About the bacon. I used slab bacon, which is much thicker than the stuff you get encased in plastic. It's also much better.

Wilted Lettuce

6 slices bacon, cubed
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon bown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups torn-up Boston lettuce

1. Cook the bacon until crisp, remove vits and reserve. Remove and discard all but three tablespoons fat from the pan.
2. Add the vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper to pan. Bring to a boil and pour over lettuce.
Add reserved bacon bits and toss.
Serves four.

No comments:

Post a Comment