Sunday, June 19, 2011

Caviar Mousse







I had considered caviar mousse as an appetizer for the party we gave before the wedding, but was scared off by (a.) the unavailability of the quantities of caviar needed, (b.) the expense. I went back to it as one of the few remaining appetizer recipes that my husband could actually eat. We had a dinner party Saturday night after an old friend we had not seen in a while came by, and I invited her and her husband to dinner. I solved the expense part by using red caviar which is cheaper, but still pretty expensive, and getting my husband to pick it up on his way home from work. I was supposed to solve the quantities problem by cutting the recipe in half, which would have suited admirably, since there were nine of us at dinner, and half the recipe served nine.
However, after I told my husband to buy half as much caviar as the recipe called for, I went ahead and made the full recipe, with only half the caviar. Call it a case of brain blackout. So there was less caviar in the mousse. It was still a good appetizer, a jelled creamy mix of sour cream and mayonnaise, with the fish eggs exploding their salty fishy goodness in the mouth. Red caviar gave the mousse a mild pink tinge. Half the guests loved it. The other half took one bite and left the rest in its ramikin. I wonder if people ever say, "I don't want to go to dinner at their house. All they ever have is fish. I hate fish." The fish section is taking a long time to get through, that's for sure.

Caviar Mousse

3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup cold water
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
6 cups sour cream
12 ounces caviar
toast rounds

1. Soften the gelatin in the cold water. Add the boiling water and stir to dissolve gelatin.
2. Add the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and mustard. Cool slightly.
3. Blend the mayonnaise and sour cream together. Stir in the caviar and then the gelatin mixture. Pour into a shallow serving dish or lightly oiled mold. Chill until firm. Unmold and serve with toast rounds. Makes 18 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment