Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pennsylvania Dutch Cabbage

I like cabbage as much as the next person. Cabbage is underrated, actually, in the vast pantheon of vegetables. However, I held off on this recipe for years because of one thing, the three tablespoons of flour. What I think the flour would do, because I don't really know, is form some sort of a white sauce. It would be a white sauce without milk or butter. It somehow doesn't sound very good. So I left it out. My son the lawyer would not approve of this, but, so, sue me. I'm not into making things merely to throw away if they do turn out as badly as feared. This was dinner, and who wants pasty tasting cabbage? If somebody else wants to try this and let us all know, be my guest. Please, give my poor cousin Cricket a break and make a comment.
Without the flour the vinegar and sugar produced a sort of not unpleasant, sweet and sour cabbage. It went well with whatever we had for dinner. (I can't remember.)

Pennsylvania Dutch Cabbage

1 large head cabbage, coarsely shredded
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons flour

1. Place the cabbage in a large kettle. Combine the vinegar, sugar and one quart water and pour over the cabbage. Bring to a boil and boil vigorously, uncovered, twenty-five to thirty minutes.
2. Mix the flour with a little cold water and stir into the hot cabbage. Cook, stirring until mixture thickens. Makes eight servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment