Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Deep-Fried Mushrooms



Deep Fried Mushrooms are one of those improbable seeming recipes that I never made because it never struck a chord. Or, as one of my family members says, quoting Monty Python, "No bell." They're okay. I probably wouldn't ever make them again, but I also won't give them the "YUCK" award for the worst thing ever found in a cookbook. If you like deep fried stuff, you'll probably like these. I made them on Monday night because I'm trying to make one thing per day out of this cookbook now that school is out.
I have tried to give attention to sections that I have ignored generally, like the Breads section, but I also have other things to do, or not to do, so today I landed on Deep Fried Mushrooms as something that I could check off at dinnertime. In the past I have not had huge success with deep fried items. Usually, the breading fell off or something like it. Knowing me, I probably didn't follow the directions, because if you follow the directions, the breading sticks admirably and fizzes up in the hot oil. They are good when served with tartar sauce, so do that, unless you find tartar sauce disgusting.

Deep-Fried Mushrooms

32 medium sized white mushrooms
flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 eggs
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
oil for deep frying
tartar sauce

1. Trim off the tips of the mushroom stems, but leave the stems on. Rinse the mushrooms under cold running water and drain. Do not dry.
2. Dredge the mushrooms in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. (This means dump the flour in a bag, put the salt and pepper in, and then dump the mushrooms in on top and shake them.)
3. Beat the eggs with the water and peanut or vegetable oil and place in a pie dish.
4. Toss or turn the mushrooms in the egg mixture until well coated. Coast the mushrooms on all sides with the breadcrumbs. Let stand until ready to cook.
5. Heat oil in a large skillet and when hot (375 degrees) add the mushrooms. Cook until golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with tartar sauce. Makes four servings.

1 comment: