Saturday, September 25, 2010

Blueberry Nut Bread

On Tuesday, while I was chopping and simmering and poaching the marinara sauce with sausage, my eye fell on the second or third set of blueberries moldering on the counter, waiting for me to turn them into blueberry nut bread. These blueberries came in raspberry sized containers, at raspberry prices, a clear sign that the blueberry season was almost over. My intent was to make the bread and take it to school for the morning teacher collaboration. If this recipe was to be made this season, I had better get on it.
I flipped back to the breads section and perused the recipe. Wet and dry ingredients, mix, put in the pan, bake. A snap.
Weeell, as they say, there is one little thing. An essential ingredient of this recipe is wax paper. Leave it out at your peril, or rather, I should say, the peril of your glass bread pan. Our kitchen is currently down one glass bread pan, due to my husband's efforts to get the bread out of the pan sans wax paper. So be warned. This is an excellent quick bread. We spread whipped cream on it and ate it for dessert. Or you could have it for breakfast, with morning coffee, or whatever.

Blueberry Nut Bread

2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used slivered almonds.)
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil

1. Sift together the flower, salt, baking powder and sugar. Add the berries and nuts.
2. Combine the eggs, milk, and oil and stir in just to moisten. Pour into a wax paper-lined 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan. Let stand twenty minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. Bake loaf one hour or until done.
Makes one loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment