Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sour Cream Peach Pie


This was the dessert for the clam bake. The peaches at the farmers market are fantastic. Early Saturday, I crawled out of bed and persuaded my husband to drive me up to Bethesda to buy all the vegetables for the party. I bought tomatoes and peaches and pears and eggs from a woman who looked like she could have been one of the farm cooks for the cookbook.

I made the pie first because the clam bake didn't require much prep. I dunked the peaches in boiling water and was able to peel them fairly expeditiously. Other than peeling and slicing the peaches, the filling was simple. I had a discussion once with a friend about the cliche "easy as pie." "I think pies are the easiest thing. Don't you?" she said. I have never found pie crusts particularly easy, but the rest of it is a snap.


Sour Cream Peach Pie


5 cups peeled, sliced ripe peaches

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1 tablespoonn corn starch

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon salt

oastrt fir a two-crust nine-inch or ten -inch pie

1 1/2 cups sour cream


1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine the peaches, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Line a nine -inch or ten-inch pie plate with rolled out pastry.

3. Turn the fruit into the pie plate. Pour the sour cream ov3er all. Top with remaining pastry, rolled out. Seal and decorate edges and make a steam hole. Bake twenty-five to thirty-five minutes or until pastry is golden.


No comments:

Post a Comment