Sunday, September 12, 2010

Dona's Favorite Pie Crust

This may be Dona's favorite pie crust, but it's not mine. Pie crust has to form a cohesive mass. I followed the recipe faithfully, and ended up with a mass of crumbs. I added another tablespoonful of water, and still didn't have cohesiveness. I think I got up to 9 tablespoons before I actually got something that could be rolled out. Because this was being made for guests, I had to appeal to the piecrust expert in the house. My husband was able to roll it out, crimp the crust and cut out nice little leaves to adorn the top of the pie.

Dona's Favorite Pie Crust

3 cups of flour
1 cup plus one tablespoon lard
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 egg white, lightly beaten

1. Place the flour, lard and salt in a bowl. With two knives, a pastry blender or the finger tips, blend the fat into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse oatmeal.
2. Mix together the remaining ingredients and add. Stir to mix and form into a dough.
Makes enough for a two-crust nine inch pie and one nine-inch pie shell or three nine-inch pie shells.

No comments:

Post a Comment