Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pesto Alla Romano

Since 1983, I have been using the cookbook's other recipe for pesto, Pesto Genovese for Spaghetti. It is, in all respects, an excellent recipe for pesto, the traditional parmesan, pine nuts, basil trifecta. However, since I've embarked on this odyssey, I try new things, and this is one of them. I'm not entirely sure that this turned out the way it was supposed to. I suspect it was supposed to be like mayonnaise, since it starts out with 2 egg yolks and drizzled oil in the blender. The directions say, use as a dipping sauce for shrimp. Well, we don't eat shrimp, so Wednesday night, I whippped it up and used it on spaghetti. It turned out to be was an oil based sauce without the traditonal crunch of the other pesto, but tasty in its way. It has way too much salt in it. I would cut the salt by at least a half.

Pesto Alla Romano

2 egg yolks
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon salt (trust me, this is too much.)
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice

1. Place the egg yolks in the container of an electric blender. Set on high speed and dribble in the oil slowly.
2. Add the remaining ingredients. Blend thirty seconds. Use as a dipping sauce for cooked shrimp.
Makes about two and one half cups.


No comments:

Post a Comment